Thursday, October 28, 2010

Excuse me Mr. Officer


Well the day finally came. I never thought it would but it did. I finally got pulled over by a policeman. Not for speeding but for going through a yellow left hand turn signal. I went through the yellow light and saw Mr. Officer make eye contact with me and come up right behind me. As soon as the light went green again and I started to go, he turned on his lights and made me pull over. And this is how the conversation went with the kinda friendly but not really officer..

Officer: Can I see your license and registration mam?
Me: Umm yea let me see if I can find it, I don't even know what it really looks like.
Officer: It's that paper right there.
Me: Oh got it. oops.
Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Umm no
Officer: You went through a red light.
Me: I'm pretty sure it was a yellow light. I would never run a red light (note: I was not being sarcastic here. I was being dead serious)
Officer: That's funny you say that because that's what 40% of the people I pull over say.
Me: Yes but I'm telling you the truth. Does it help that I've never had a ticket, warning, citation or anything??
Officer: Nope. Sorry. I'm going to have to give you a ticket for a red light citation
Me: Even though it was my first time??
Officer:Yep.

Ok now I couldn't help it, it just sucked so I kinda started to tear up a bit.... if you know me at all, you know this isn't a shocker.

Officer: Don't start crying now. Crying's not gonna help you.
Me: I know, I just don't know how much this is gonna cost and I really thought it was yellow...
Officer: I know you probably did but I had another officer watching with me and he radioed you in so you have two people that saw you run it.
Me: (Sniff sniff) Does it help if I tell you my father-in-law is a police chief in Saratoga Springs and that I totally know better and I'll never do it again?
Officer: You're father-in-law is a police chief here?
Me: Yes
Officer: What's his name?
Me: Gary Hicken
Officer: Oh Gary (I don't actually think he knew who he was but at this point I was hoping for the best)
Me: (waiting while he kinda pondered on "should I give a police chiefs daughter in law a ticket?")
Officer: Ok miss we have this policy of Professional Courtesy so because your father in law is chief I'm going to let you go this time with a warning. You better call him tonight and say thank you.
Me: Oh thank you! I defintelly will. I'll have him teach me all about yellow lights.
Officer: (finally laughed) Ok have a nice day.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talked my way out of my first ticket ever and all thanks to my father in law. I called him up after and told him about it and he said I got lucky because there are plenty of officers who would have said "so what" when I mentioned him! Luckily Mr. Provo Officer had some pity for me and my situation (which was so dumb anyways).
I called my mom and dad who thought the story was funny... then I told Doug about it haha he didn't think it was so funny at first. Later on that night we laughed about it together but only because we didn't have to pay a ticket.
Now I'll just have to pay extra careful at yellow lights because who knows how many times that excuse will really work!!


7 comments:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Haha, my best friend's dad is in the FBI... they do the same thing for them! She has gotten out of tickets too and SO MUCH MORE! hahahaha Great story!

Wayne & Kate said...

OH my gosh, you are so lucky! That cop sounded to mean at the beginning! I would cry too! It sounds like his whole jerky attitude totally changed when you mentioned his name... HA HA! good for you!!! xoxo

Rachel said...

hahah funny story, Rosanna! I was in the car with someone who got pulled over, and it was by UHP, who my father-in-law works for lol, that person still got a ticket...I don't think I'm as good at name-dropping :)

Abbie said...

hahaha i can totally picture this whole event..nice job!

Amber said...

Glad it worked. I watched Doug get out of a ticket at the airport once by mentioning that his Dad was a Chief. He was totally speeding. :) You two are lucky.

Wendy said...

Wow. That actually worked? I'll have to try it sometime. :) Can't wait to see you guys at Christmas!

Snow Family said...

I have received a ticket once and was able to keep it together until the police man drove away, then I cried like a little girl in elementary school who just pulled her card :( Long story but Bryan got me out of it:)